If you want to create an extension for a property at a more affordable price or just need to lower the cost of home extensions to pave the way for other building work, Heath Construction can help. We’re the friendly and personable building company from Broadbridge Heath with a great reputation in the nearby Horsham area. The builders, carpenters and general labourers on our team can deliver projects to set timescales and, just as importantly, to a set budget.
Lowering the cost of building work may mean you have to rethink your plans a little, and to consider property extensions that might be more in line with what you have, or wish, to spend. This shouldn’t mean a total compromise of your design aspirations, and our builders would never cut corners just to bring a job home at a certain price.
What we can do is offer the best independent advice on home extensions in Horsham and meet your needs as a reputable local company that puts the customer first.
• Intricate building work costs more with any type of job and particularly so on property extensions. Consider a square or rectangular build with a simple pitched or flat roof to lower the overall cost of the project.
• Spend time with your builders and be wary if they don’t want to invest the same amount of time into you. Working through the smaller details now means you won’t have to use another building company to make changes later.
• Even if you feel tempted to make changes to home extensions, try sticking to the plan and the agreed design. The fewer changes you make to projects in the Horsham area, the less the cost spirals and the more you save.
• Avoid bespoke additions and building work by ordering windows and doors in a standard size and in a simple design. Choose a cheaper type of flooring material, such as a laminate, and opt for a basic level of decoration.
• If your Horsham home has enough outdoor space, make sure your builders work to a design that steers clear of underground utilities. Having to relocate power, water and drainage supplies adds to the cost of property extensions.
• Choose a building company in Horsham with the ability to manage your extension from start to finish. Hiring in builders, carpenters and labourers separately always ends up costing more not just in labour, but also in VAT.
• Timing is important so never start home extensions until your building company has all materials delivered and a set specification – including planning approval – in place. This reduces the amount of downtime on a project.
• Most types of building work incur VAT. Choose a company of understanding builders and you could negotiate the use of second-hand or recycled materials. It is also possible to insulate some home extensions in Horsham with no VAT costs.
• If you are on good terms with the neighbours, see if they will agree to signing a party wall agreement waiver. This saves money on surveyance costs on both sides of the party wall and is ideal if you have neighbours who might also extend in the future.
• Always look for a reputable building company in Horsham or, at the very least, make sure the builders you hire have a strong word-of-mouth reputation. If possible, ask to see their previous property extensions and other types of building work.